[YaesuSystemFusion] Re: Wires-X to Linux

First of all, Yaesu will never produce a Linux version of WiRES-X. I don't think we want them to. I suspect we'd rather add features and fix bugs rather than giving us a different version of a capability we already have. Personally, I want to see the API for the WiRES-X software. When we can't that we can have plenty of fun!
The existing WiRES-X software will never run on a Raspberry Pi or anything that doesn't use an x86 style CPU. The code is compiled for Intel, so it will never run on ARM.

I disagree with your assumptions here.  Code can be written using multi-platform toolkits that effectively makes the application natively available for Windows, Mac, Linux, etc.  How difficult this is to support depends on what the original language software was written in.  Btw.. there is ZERO reason why Yaesu couldn't cross compile their existing code to say ARM and run it on say a Rpi2 running Windows10 IoT (this MS OS exists today).  I don't know if an Rpi2 has the system resources to support Wires-X's needs (is Wires-X written to use SMP to distribute it's CPU needs vs. being single threaded) but there *are* options here.


I have heard rumors that it's possible to get the WiRES-X code on Linux running under Codeweaver. Code weaver provides .NET and Win32 support. It's paid software, but that means you get professional support and it's constantly being updated to make more Windows software run on it right out of the box.

(If you're invested, get the 14-day trial. Wait. Don't buy it. Wait longer. You will eventually start getting discounted offers.)

It would seem like a good "open source" project to port WiRES-X under Codeweaver. I for one would rather run it in a Linux (Ubuntu) environment. No Windows license needed. And with WinX on the horizon, I'm now thinking I like the idea of Windows even less.

If it was written in .NET or C#, there is a chance this will work under Wine (open source direct relative of CodeWeaver) or even natively under Linux since MS has open sourced their .NET code.  It's unclear to me if the Mono community is going to absorb this code or if some new project will emerge to support it but I think this was a smart move by MS though very very late.

2 comments:

  1. looks like a splat of a conversation just dumped. No idea where the sources for this information comes from. I presume this was some Email exchange? Looks like at least two people conversation. Yes I am experimenting with Wine and WiresX. It would not be hard for them to recompile it to run on Windows 10 IOT if its already a C# program. Which my the looks of it is. If its C++ then it can run under Linux with a few Lib changes etc.
    DE 2E0PGS www.m3pgs.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is C# it can run almost native on Linux using the Mono Framework. Still I havent played with it yet. I guess I should.

    ReplyDelete

Yaesu System Fusion (groups.io) Discussion
https://groups.io/g/YaesuSystemFusion
.

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.